Monday, October 29, 2007

Apology: An Introduction

From the New Oxford American Dictionary:


apology noun ( pl. -gies)


1 a regretful acknowledgment of an offense or failure.


2 ( an apology for) a very poor or inadequate example of.


3 a reasoned argument or writing in justification of something, typically a theory or religious doctrine.




I trust, dear reader that you understand I do not intend to write in the spirit of the first or second definition but in the third.  I have long thought of how to organize this essay and finally have worked up the courage to start writing it down.  As always my goal is to see if it sounds as cogent in writing as it does in the echoing recesses of my mind.  Undoubtedly it will not if past projects have taught me anything!  Equally I am hopeful that this will have some reasonableness about it and that my thinking will be refined by the exercise of setting these things down on paper and the interaction that may follow.




What is it that I will seek to defend here?  It is simply this: Christian Orthodoxy.  St. Peter tells us, “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.”  So that is what I set out to do: to answer for my Hope.  And the measure of my answer is this: that it conforms to the Word of God.




A voice says, “Cry out.“

      
And I said, “What shall I cry?“

      
“All men are like grass,

      
and all their glory is like the flowers of the field.


 The grass withers and the flowers fall,

      
because the breath of the LORD blows on them.

      
Surely the people are grass.


 The grass withers and the flowers fall,

      
but the word of our God stands forever.”

No comments: